When Mothers think of a quick lunch to send their kids off to school with, they oftentimes think of one thing - PB&J. Choosy Moms choose Jif.. right?? Your regular peanut butter and jelly sandwich makes a great lunch...sometimes, but the truth is it's easier than you think to come up with creative, and healthy lunches for the school cafeteria. Here are some ideas to get the ball rolling :)
- Strawberry and Cream Cheese Sandwich - Use reduced fat cream cheese (it really tastes just as good!) on whole wheat bread. Spread around the cream cheese and add slices of strawberries on top. If your kids complain about the bread getting soggy, pack up the berries in a small container and let them do it themselves.
- Sesame Noodles - Asian sesame noodles can often be your kid's favorite meal. They're good hot and cold, so pack them up in a container and send your child off with this tasty lunch (easily made the night before without them having a clue :)
- BBQ Chicken Sandwich - Any leftover chicken in the fridge? Shred and mix it up with some BBQ sauce and grated carrots. Add a leaf of romaine and put it onto a whole wheat bun for a quick and healthy sandwich.
- Hummus Wrap - Slab on some Hummus and add grilled or fresh vegetables to a large wrap. It's a great healthy choice, and your kids will be coming back for more!
- Peanut Tofu Pita - Bake some tofu and toss it with your favorite store bought Thai Peanut Sauce (a little goes a long way). Stuff it into a fresh pita and add some vegetable. They won't even notice the veggies, once they take a bite of this delicious tofu.
What's your favorite lunch to pack for school? We'd love to hear from you!